Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 119, 010709

Exposure Leeds #5 was last night (task 85). Again, a pretty enjoyable use of an evening, but... lacking, somewhat. There were a lot of newbies there, and a bunch of them left at 8:30 (possibly because they were expecting it to finish at 8:30, like wot I woz, and I'm categorically not a newbie) when we still had quite a bit to go through. Anyway.

I was on the door again (although Gav likes hitting the big green button, so I left him to it, mostly), getting people to sign in and nametag up, and hanging the prints people had brought for the Flash Printswap (bring a print, get a post-it, give the print to us. We hang all the prints, hidden away, and at the end of the evening we do a grand reveal and people can put their post-it on another print, and take that away with them once all the prints are claimed - and I say you can). The quality of the prints were excellent, in some cases considerably better than last time.

Pre-post-it

Talks: a decent one on macro photography, although a bit flat did have some interesting technical detail, some of which was slightly incorrect, but never mind, it makes no difference to the results. I'm minded to repost my talk from EL2 on "The Dark Art of Exposure". The second talk was about travel photography, and whilst it was very interesting (and I really like Ade and his work) it was about 15 photos too long. This was a thing, really - Jon let the talks go on for a bit too long, so we were a bit rushed at the end. And, I had to really struggle to hear the speakers. Now, I know I'm having problems with my hearing at the moment - struggling to differentiate background noise from useful sounds, particularly in my left ear - but I don't think I was the only one thinking they were a bit quiet.

Finishing at 9:30 is a bit late, though. Could be a minority opinion, but 3 hours is pushing it.

All that aside, though: I came out of there thinking about how I could get going with some macro photography, and an inspirational evening is always a good evening.

Currently running habitual tasks: #3 (94+/365, stalling, not sure where I am with this), #13, #26, #37 (4/<34), #60 (11/50), #68, #66 (66/250), #85 (5/4) #87, #88, #97 (1/8), #100 (3/>3)
Currently running exploratory tasks: #38 (1/18), #17 (1/54+), #57 (1/9+)
Currently running growing tasks: #41, #52
Completed: 9
Remaining: 92

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, 3 hours is long on a week night - sounds similar to a lot of the issues I had with the Hobart Photo Club. Still, good stuff.

    Glad to see you updating this again too!

    ReplyDelete