Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 121, 030709

You know how you get into the habit of doing something, then all of a sudden you stop doing it, and then it takes an age to get back into the habit? Last year I was cycling to work, and then in August I stopped because it was getting too hot, and then all of a sudden we're 11 months further on and I'd taken the bike out twice in that time, and not at all this year. This is not a good state of affairs.

I love my bike; it's a Specialized hybrid with slick-ish (but wide) tyres, an insanely lightweight frame given the size of it, and lovely shifters that haven't given me a moment's gyp since I've had them. And, despite not even being looked at for six months, all I had to do this morning was give the chain a blast of WD-40 and pump up the tyres. Hop on, and bam, I'm at werk without having to wait for a bus or be tempted by the gamut of coffee shops en route.

The route in from home is fairly straightforward: up a bit of a hill, right a bit, down a HUGE hill that gets me touching 30mph if there's no traffic on it, under the motorway, past the huge office complexes, under the train station, up Park Row, over Millennium Square and up the road past the hospital. Done, 17 minutes door to door. Homewards takes slightly longer, as I have to go up the huge hill. That gets wearisome, but it's tolerable, just. Because of traffic flow I have to go through Holbeck, but it doesn't add much extra time (unlike the hill).

Still, I'm going to count home->werk->home as One Trip Out on the bike, which means I only have 249 left to go before I can count Task 81 completed.

Currently running habitual tasks: #3 (94+/365, stalling, not sure where I am with this), #13, #26, #37 (4/<34), #60 (11/50), #68, #66 (66/250), #81 (1/250) #85 (5/4) #87, #88, #97 (1/8), #100 (3/>3)
Currently running exploratory tasks: #38 (1/18), #17 (1/54+), #57 (1/9+)
Currently running growing tasks: #41, #52
Completed: 9
Remaining: 92

No comments:

Post a Comment