Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 131, 130709

Walking in to work is easier than walking home. I want to get home as quickly as I can, and psychologically that means getting the bus, despite the bus stop being about 1/4 of the way home and I'd have to wait up to 30 minutes for the right bus anyway. Walking home takes maybe 10 minutes longer than getting to the bus stop, waiting for 20 minutes and having to battle through the traffic around Asda House. Walking in takes maybe 10 minutes longer than getting to the bus stop, waiting for a bus that never comes, getting on the next one that turns up - which deposits me in such a way I have to walk an extra half-mile to get to werk - which is promptly overtaken by the one I intended to get, and so on. Ultimately, I should just walk to-and-from every day that I can't be bothered togging up in cycling gear.

Even though my route varies slightly from day-to-day (I have proof of this, but as it identifies both where I work and where I live, I won't be making those GPS traces publically available just yet), coming into work is still sufficiently early that I can walk most of it in a zenlike trance, semimeditative, with a couple of subprocesses stopping me from walking into traffic (the routes I take are deliberately light on cars) and people. My mind starts thinking of random stuff, which I'm very happy to let it do.

The other morning, my branes started churning out Lewis Carroll, as a response to certain items on my To-Do list. No, I don't know why either. But, I was reminded of the chain of Belgian chocolate shops called Leodis, and decided that calling my chocolate company that would be foolish, and really it should be Loidis anyway (which sounds wrong), and if I were going to take the latin route the best I could come up with was Cambodunum (which is arguably wrong, but without a time machine or a cache of documents yet to be discovered...). Now, Cambodunum Chocolates does have a ring to it, but whether it's a good ring is open to interpretation. Loidis Chocolates is not going to float. What about Holbeck... and so on.

Anyway, the point is that walking to-and-from werk gives me 7.2 miles (ish, depending on the route it can be over or under) in a day, which over 4 days is 29 miles. I walk into town at lunchtimes, which would give me another 4 unrecorded miles a week, so over any given week where I walk at least 4 days, I can tick off one of my 46 weeks as part of Task #4. I'm going to include runs in with this as well as I gear myself up to the 5k, just because it makes the maths easier (and I can record those miles). Last week I walked a little over 35 miles on the daily commute and a few trips to the supermarket or lunch, so I'm happy to get one of my weeks of #4 out of the way. One down, 45 to go... and I'm already into this week.


Currently running habitual tasks: #3 (94+/365, stalling, not sure where I am with this), #4 (1/46) #13, #26, #37 (4/<34), #60 (11/50), #68, #66 (82/250), #81 (1/250) #85 (5/4) #87, #88, #97 (1/8), #100 (3/>3)
Currently running exploratory tasks: #38 (1/18), #17 (1/54+), #57 (1/9+)
Currently running growing tasks: #41, #52
Completed: 9
Remaining: 92

No comments:

Post a Comment