Friday, March 13, 2009

Day 8, 130309

Today I knocked one of my one-offs off the list. It is done, dusted, and I never have to do it again. Except I will. Every 16 weeks I shall turn up at a certain address on the Headrow, and do some good.

But, it's a completed list item; #48, "Try to register for blood donation."

I met up with Daag at the National Blood Service centre on the Headrow at lunchtime. I signed in, filled out some paperwork and waited for a bit before a terribly nice "blood donor carer" (according to her name badge) called Tracey quickly rattled off a speil about "do you understand the form?" and "we just need to check the iron content of your blood" and so on, practically without drawing breath. "Do you have any questions?" she ended, "yes, is the red ball on your tongue stud for Red Nose Day?" I wanted to ask, but didn't (as the answer was somewhat predictable).

Daag, who had already had his iron test and was well on his way to filling his bag, was busily telling the nurses about my 101 hings, so they already knew what I was up to without my having to say anything. I'm not yet sure about whether to answer the question "so, what made you come here today?" with a short or complex answer... but today Daag had already done the groundwork, so I didn't really have to think about it. A terribly nice nurse called Karen tried to raise a vein, and then stuck a hole in me. I obviously don't have high blood pressure, as I was there pumping my fist around a cardboard tube for about twice as long as it took the bloke who came in after me (who'd just done his tenth donation). I'm allergic to sticking plaster (joy) and so after I'd filled my bag my arm was gauzed and wrapped in a bandage that's still on now.

They gave me a sticker :)

About an hour after I walked in, and a cup of tea later, I walked out with 500ml less blood than when I came in (470 for the bag, 3x10ml for various tests), and went to O'Neills for a quick pint of Guinness, because apparently it's the law, or something. It was a very nice pint of Guinness.

I'm not sure what I'm prouder of; having the list drop to 100 from 101, or doing some good. I'm pretty sure it is the latter, but the former is quite nice too.

Currently running habitual tasks: #3 (8/365), #13, #26, #66 (4/250), #85 (1/4), #87, #88
Currently running exploratory tasks: #38 (1/18)
Currently running growing tasks: #41, #52
Completed: 1
Remaining: 100

1 comment: